Friday, December 13, 2013

Being influenced & Influencing

This week I came across a few different events that truly influenced me. First was the Kacey Musgraves concert. I was listening to the 99.5 Country radio station this past Saturday and they stated that Kacey was having on concert at St. Andrew Halls that night. Immediately I was wanting to go so I went online and bought the first two tickets I could find for my mother and me. My mom was someone who I definitely wanted to bring just because she is the major supporter of my project. The concert was honestly the best concert that I have ever been to. It was small, in a venue, but personal, and that's what I liked about it so much. She was interacting with everyone in the audience. It felt like you were almost hanging out with her not watching her. She is such an influential singer, all the words in her song are relate-able yet so different then any other songwriter, which inspired me to want to become an artist somewhat like her and somewhat like the former personality of Miranda Lambert.

I believe that everything happens for a reason. When I was at that concert I saw Paulina Jayne, who is a major country singer at my school, but I was trying to avoid her just because I was so nervous to meet her. But then I realized that I may not get another chance to see her, and I believed there was a reason for me running into her at that concert. So, I shook off all my anxiety of meeting her and walked right up to her and introduced myself. We talked for about 10 minutes and she said that she would love to help me in my project , which was an awesome thing to hear from someone so talented. I am going to be emailing her my lyrics along with the audio of my songs and she will reporting back to me with her thoughts.

The other experience that I came across was when I was playing guitar in the hallway this Friday. I was playing my song, "Behind that Screen", and Debby, one hall monitor came up to me and said that she would love to hear me play. Although I was nervous I knew that I could not say no, so once again I shook off my nervousness and began to play. When I was finished she knew exactly what the song was about, cyber-bullying. She began to tell me about how people used to call her awful names and knew exactly what I had went through. A minute later Mrs. K, another hall monitor, came to me, and Debby said she had to listen to me so once again I began to play. When I was done Mrs.K began to relate it to her life, someone that means  very much to her had gone through the same issue and it had an effect on her as well. Mrs.K began to tear up as she talked about what was going on, and then I began to tear up because I realized how many people do go through the same issue of bullying and cyber-bullying. And right then and there is when I realized how influential music can really be, even my music. Music is a powerful thing. I want to use music to show people that everyone has issues in their lives. I want to show people to understand that they are not alone.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe one day I'll be cool enough to hear you sing. :-) I'm proud of all of the hard work you are putting into this project and I know you are going to accomplish some awesome things as you keep working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! You'll here me sing soon!

    ReplyDelete